Some things I learned last weekend:
- Never take yourself seriously when a lot of people are looking at you. Also, you get bonus points for egging on the people sitting next to you on the stage.
- You will always be struck with a hundred hilarious things to say the moment the audience is gone.
- In the publishing business, it really is about who you know.
- Editors are sick and tired.
- Young scientists think they are the equivalent of rock stars. Or game show hosts.
- It is possible for a live human being to totally resemble a bobble head doll.
- For some reason I love the word “squeegee.”
- A Grammar Nazi is much less likely to get published, and writers who obsess over eliminating all traces of passive voice are viewed by publishers as amateurs.
- Male writers have penises, and female writers have vaginas.